Yesterday Klout launched Experts, a brand new way for influencers to share their expertise and help others along the way. Our CEO and co-founder Joe Fernandez has much more to say about the significance of the Experts launch as a marker along the path of Klout’s growth.
For me, it’s been gratifying to see how serious Joe and the rest of Klout are about extending the definition of influence to encompass the sharing of the knowledge each one of us has about specific topics. While the Klout Score has been an effective initial basis for introducing Klout and the concept of influence to the world, Experts massively expands the scope of influence. For the first time, our influencers now have the ability to directly share their knowledge and passions on Klout — the taste and wisdom they have built up about the things they care about in life.
Here’s a sample answer from PR insider Peter Shankman on pursuing a career in public relations:
And another answer from Circa founder and mobile entrepreneur Matt Galligan on the qualities of a great app:
These contributions will meaningfully help other people through our partnerships with Bing and others to come, by delivering high quality answers to everyday questions at the point of need, all backed by the trust and topical authority the Klout Score provides.
The initial press coverage for the announcement yesterday has been strong:
- Wired: Beyond Scorekeeping: Klout’s New Plan to Become a Social Network
- PandoDaily: Klout Experts: Has Klout finally come up with something users will love?
- Mashable: Increase Your Klout Score By Sharing Your Expertise
- All Things D: With “Experts,” Klout Wants to Make Influence Matter in Online Q&A
- GigaOm: Klout dips into Q&A and local commerce with launch of new questions feature
- TechCrunch: Klout Gets Into The Q&A Business By Launching Klout Experts (With Help From Bing)
- Search Engine Land: Klout Integration Pushes Human Powered ‘Expert’ Answers Atop Bing’s Search Results
- The Verge: Under the influence: Bing lifts Klout to the top of search results
We also launched a redesign of Klout.com (which looks just beautiful, thanks to our amazing creative team). The brief for the redesign was to humanize and warm up both the voice and the look of the site and I think they nailed both.
Sarah Lacy very clearly surfaces the potential for Klout Experts and its future impact when she writes:
Rather than just bragging about a score, they can actually show off how influential they are and get pretty massive distribution if they answer a question well … Klout Experts helps put more content and value around influence, allowing people who truly possess influence around a certain topic to share it. But it’s a big step in an algorithm-centric company becoming more human powered. A tacit admission that not everything can be boiled down to a number.
Launching is just the first step on this next phase of Klout’s journey. Experts is a great opportunity for us to follow through on achieving our mission of helping everyone realize their influence — and it will be exciting to see how our influencers respond to this with their answers, passion and creativity.